Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dear Shanti enjoying with her "baby" turtle

Taking ‘shell’ter in this friendship
Friendship - day special -by Mamta Poojary. Borivli, DNA Mumbai, Sunday, August 6, 2006

Borivli resident Shanti Shenoy rescued a turtle nine years ago; since then, the animal has been her best friend and confidante:

Dogs have traditionally been considered man's best friend, but ever imagined a turtle would take on the role? Shanti Shenoy, a 22-yearold Pharmacy student from UICT college in Mumbai shares a special bond with her reptilian friend.

An animal lover, Shanti found the turtle way back in 1998. She says, “I spotted the turtle struggling on a river bank and decided to bring him home, as he needed to be nursed.” She adds, “This is when my unusual relationship began with my turtle, which I fondly named Baby.” The aspiring pharmacist points out that reptiles are not known to be reciprocative creatures, but insists that Baby understands all her gestures. “After living with us for nine years, Baby has cultivated several human habits. For instance, Baby makes it a point to answer nature's call only in the bathroom and not in any other part of the house.” Little instances like these have brought Shanti to believe that turtles learn a lot through observation.

Shanti admits that she is always amazed at the ease with which she communicates with Baby, “My turtle gives me company by snuggling on my feet when I work on the computer till late in the night. Each time I come back home, Baby comes crawling to me.” Shanti even claims that she shares her deepest secrets with the turtle and Baby patiently looks at her, as though he understands every word. “I never knew a turtle could bring someone so much happiness,” she confesses.

The young girl makes it a point to celebrate August 26, every year, as Baby's birthday, as that was the day the turtle was brought home for the first time. Shanti shares that apart from being the best of friends, she and Baby almost share a mother-child relationship. “I have so many memories associated with Baby — I remember the first time he yawned, the first time he slept in a different position, the first time he tried to get my attention by crawling over my books while I was studying…I won’t trade those moments for anything I have shared with my human friends,” she concludes.

Take the mini turtle quiz
(Answers at the bottom)
1. Turtles are also known by what other name?
2. What family are turtles classified in?
3. Which turtle gives off a stench to ward off enemies?

Answers:
1. Terrapin 2. Chelonian 3. Musk Turtle

No comments: